10/7/07

Road Racing Pain

The past two weekends I've been attempting some local Road Race events. I hadn't been winning, yet was learning and staying safe. This attempt I was following the yellow jersey in a 4 part stage race when things quickly came to an abrupt halt. We were 20 miles into our race when the rider up a bit on my right caught the wheel of the yellow jersey and fell into me while going 25mph in a pack of about 30. Down hard into the oncoming non-closed traffic lane. Race paramedic to the scene, followed by two ambulances and an afternoon in Rockford Memoriol Hospital. X-rays show a broken elbow. Many thoughts and a bit of time as I reconsider my cycling adventures. Road racing is definately out as the risk is too high. Big thanks to Todd Metz of Team Turin for picking me up at the hospital and bringing me home to my family!

Update: 10/8 - Met w/ local Ortho and have surgery scheduled for Friday. Olecranon Fracture in 4 places requiring a 3 inch cut, plate and screws.

More pics, including X-rays and bike carnage.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

wow dude! that totally sucks. i hope you feel better soon. with all the road racing tragedies this year lucky you came away with only a broken elbow.

Ben said...

oh man! I am so sorry. Feel better soon, good thing you sort of have the winter to rest it and not all spring and summer....

Chris said...

Wow. Sorry to hear. Take it from me -- stick to the dirt!

Mountaingoat said...

Crazy how road is more dangerous than dirt...

Jim Scott said...

Mark, met you at the TT. Sorry to hear about your crash. Get well soon... Jim